Both of Tobits’ sisters had babies last year and I planned to make both of the babies soft books for Christmas. Knowing that I was going to be busy in the run up to Christmas I was incredibly organised and had them both finished by the beginning of November!
The first one was a bit of a challenge in that it was a five letter name. The way I construct the book means that a six or seven letter name works best! Anyway this prompted me to venture out of my comfort zone and try something different. So I made each letter as a separate page and then and bound them all together at the end rather than making a double page spread and just stitching through all the pages (does that make sense? it does to me!)
I’m pleased with how it turned out, the pages don’t lie as flat as they do on the 8 page books but I don’t think that matters.
Anyway they visited us just before new year and Megan seemed fairly keen on grabbing the book and shoving it near her mouth, in fact I think it had milky sick on it before they left – good job it’s washable!
I’ve just seen that this next photograph of the kite is missing it’s string and bows…I am really sure that I noticed and stitched them on…but now I’m worried that I didn’t!
I forgot the tails of the elephant and giraffe in Megan’s book and had to get Tobit to retake the photographs once I’d added them! I’m glad that I didn’t leave making them until the last minute, who knows what they would have turned out like!
Kian is a short name for a book, in hindsight I would have constructed this differently too, maybe it’s a good thing to have family to practise on! I think the pages where the letters are look a bit bare, maybe next time I’ll put in an uppercase letter too, or just make the letter much bigger, hmmmm.
Anyway I have another book commission to work on, for ‘Daisy’ – another 5 letter name, I have a slightly different plan for this one although that may well change!