Earlier this year Tobit’s brother got married; I’d known about the event for 6 months or so and had been pondering the idea of making them a quilt for a wedding gift. This time last year we had a whole lot of other stuff going on that meant the idea got shelved for a while.
Fast forward to December 2015 and I eventually got around to pitching the idea to them. Nathan came up with a this as a brief: ‘Glastonbury \ Coachella festival \ music, Sunset and coastal colours, Australia \ west coast America. I loved that they had an idea but I had no idea how I might translate it. The wedding was in April, we didn’t make the trip halfway around the world to San Diego but about that time I had the inspiration of the Groove quilt.
So I purchased the pattern and Tobit made fabric choices and soon I was on a roll cutting and sewing:
It didn’t take long really to make the quilt top:
I spotted the error and fixed it, then I folded the top up and put it in the cupboard and searched for a suitable backing fabric. I struggled to find anything that I thought would be suitable; Brexit had happened and the cost of buying fabric from the US was too expensive. At the Festival of Quilts in August I eventually made a decision and bought this Whistler Studios style #39513 for Windham Fabrics, 108″ wide.
The quilt top stayed in the cupboard; the return to school for the children and my eldest starting hight school I couldn’t find the mental energy and space to deal with it. I did have a vague idea of how I might quilt it so ordered matching Aurifil colours.
Although ordered from one online store they didn’t arrive together so I had to wait for them all to arrive.
I got it in to my head that I could tackle it at half term as I also had time off work. At the weekend I basted while Tobit devised a quilting plan:
And then a number of hours quilting; I’m not sure how to explain how I quilted…
But the quilting echoes the curves and the lines converge where the curve gets thinner!
I wanted to label the quilt but wanted something that subtle so I ended up using the alphabet function on my machine and stitched on the binding:
This is the only photo I have of it; it continues with our names, I’m guessing it wasn’t on Tobit’s radar when he was photographing the finished quilt but it appears on the binding on the back of the quilt.
A few quiet hours hand stitching the binding down and a while burying threads (my least favourite part) and the quilt was finished.
As it was half term we had time to spend a day out on Dartmoor and took the quilt along for a photo shoot:
It’s a big quilt; Bethan and I stood on a bench and stretched our arms to hold it up and it still touched the ground!
We found a tree branch positioned almost perfectly:
This was most definitely on my 4th quarter FAL list I am so pleased to have it finished and gifted.
Pattern – Groove by Caroline Patchworks
Fabrics: Kona: Torch, Mediterranean, Niagara, Canary and Purple
Backing – Whistler Studios style #39513 for Windham Fabrics, 108″ wide.
Binding – Kona Niagara
Wadding – Super-Soft 80/20 by Sew Simple
Quilting – machine quilted by me using Aurifil 50 wt 2581, 2715, 1104, 1125 and 1135
Finished size – 81″ x 99″
Made for – Nathan and Mark