At the beginning of the month I set my goal to complete my #MSBHQAL top.
I was so nearly there; all the blocks were made, I sashed them and then hung the quilt top on the wall and after a day or two I decided that it needed to be bigger;
So I pulled fabric, cut and then did some production line sewing, 8 blocks on the go and got them completed within 24 hours! I did work hard on my placement of this additional set of blocks and am fairly happy with the final layout.
Due to other stuff going on in life I was pretty motivated to get this quilt finished. What to back it with? I pulled some yardage but wasn’t overly convinced by any of them, then in conversation with Tobit, I decided what would be really cool would be a giant broken herringbone on the back, therefore making it reversible. I turned this over in my mind wondering if it was truly a stupid idea and then got down to working on the maths. That almost drove me to breaking point but the wonders of Touchdraw saved me.
The strips were much longer than those in a 12.5″ block and it was much harder to work with as it was so big. I ended up using strips that were 10″ wide, on reflection 9″ probably would have worked better but when it comes down to guess work I think I did ok!
Once I had basted it I realised I needed a quilting plan, with little headspace for creativity I decided to go ‘simple’ and just outline quilt around each strip of colour! In theory simple, but in reality it took a while, I got it done over 3 days.
I love how the quilting looks great on the back too:
The binding is scrappy, I used up leftovers from all the blocks, it saves major time on decision making and uses up scraps – win, win I think:
I love the whole quilt photo shoot ‘event’, it usually involves going to the park at the end of our road and pegging the quilt up on the fencing of the basketball or tennis courts (depending on how busy the courts are and the direction of sunlight). It is often the first time I get to see the quilt properly. So much time is spent up close working on it, and it’s really great to step back and see the whole thing:
Pattern – Blocks designed by Anne at Playcrafts, tutorial here
Fabrics – from my stash and scraps boxes, some from swap with the QAL host Molli Sparkles and purples kindly donated by Trudi and Emily
Binding – scrappy leftovers from blocks
Backing – giant broken herringbone
Quilting – By me on my Janome Horizon, outline around each block
Size – Approx 52″ x 64″
Thanks very much to Molli Sparkles for hosting a great QAL and keeping me motivated throughout.
Linking up with: