At the beginning of the month I set out a goal to make a vintage sheet quilt top. At that point I really wasn’t sure what I was going to do but after looking through my stash of vintage sheets it became obvious. I had a stack of strings:
And a huge bag full of more offcuts:
Oh and there was a whole drawer full too! So I decided that the most efficient and economical thing to do would be to make a string quilt.
So within a week I had blocks that looked like this:
Another week on and there were more (all blocks are paper pieced):
At which point I had to decide how big to make the top and how many more blocks I needed. I decided on a layout of 7 x 6 blocks (total 42).
An attempt to take a photo of the finished top in the garden, it was a bit blustery and there is a large stack of bricks preventing a smooth drop:
I’m not sure what the pirate was up to, maybe he was in awe of the beauty he saw! But anyway the top is finished which was my aim so I’m rather delighted. It was great to sew together, I randomly pulled strips, there was no planning of any of the blocks and minimal planning to the layout.
I’ve put some packs of strips for sale in my etsy shop so you can make your own, the listing suggests a minimum of 21 different prints in each pack but I think there must be 40 in this quilt top (I used approximately 1 1/2 packs to make this top).
So another goal complete and there appears to be no less fabric in my stack of vintage sheet offcuts! Now there is the small matter of basting, quilting and binding!
Linking up with: