Back in October 2010 I received a parcel of ‘scraps’ from Jo who was relocating to the States for a while and wanted someone to do something with the scraps left over from work she had been doing for Dashwood Studios.
I offered to make a quilt for the Siblings Together charity that Jo and I have both supported for a number of years. For some reason I decided to make a drunkards path quilt. I bought the Sizzix dies which made the process far easier and then stitched a whole lot of curves.
I realised that to make a quilt top that was big enough for a child I needed a bit more fabric and maybe a little more variety. I put a request on IG and had some gorgeous donations of fabric:
I spent a while thinking about the layout of the blocks and enlisted my young son to help, he remarked on the repetition of a number of the background pieces so we decided to make a feature of it:This did mean that I needed to make more blocks to be able to do this but I’m really pleased I did because this is what I ended up with:
I quilted not in circles because the thought of moving it around on the machine for each circle was too much so I did a continuous ‘S’ shape down the quilt (does that make sense?)so it does almost looked like I’ve quilt around each circle. I used Aurifil 4647 50 weight from a Tula Pink thread collection which picks out the blues and pinks in the quilt.
Backing fabric was from stash. Once I had finished quilting I decided I wanted curved corners to emphasis all the curves in the quilt so round them off with something that was to hand (I can’t remember what – a cup, saucer maybe!):
I’ll soon be sending it on it’s way to Nicky for the Siblings Together quilt drive, I’m pretty sure they have reached their target of 100 for this year but this will give them a head start for next year! And you can see that I am so organised that this even has a label on it tucked away in the (round) corner:
If you fancy getting involved in the charity by either making a quilt, joining a bee, donating fabric or wadding or quilting a quilt please do get in touch via the Siblings Together quilt group blog.
Pattern: Drunkards Path
Finished size: 62″ x 80″ approx
Fabrics: all from Dashwood Studio
Backing fabric: Walkabout zig zag by Beth Studley for Andover and Vacation Sunglasses in cream for Makower
Binding fabric: Scraps leftover from the quilt top
Quilted using Aurifil 4647
This has been on my FAL list for a while and I am so pleased to declare it finished!