While we were on holiday we received the news that our next door neighbours baby had arrived. I had in mind that I would make a quilt for the new arrival but was waiting to find out whether they had a boy or girl (although I think this quilt is gender neutral).
The gorgeous baby is a boy so I had a look through my stash and decided to use the selected backing fabric as my starting point:
Whales by Adlico Fabrics
I then pulled a selection of fabrics that worked with the print. I previously made a quick baby quilt and wanted to make another one using the same pattern. Unfortunately the blog post with the tutorial in is no longer available but with the help of Tobit I was able to find the page in a cache somewhere. So I was able to check the angles and cutting instructions without having to spend time on the maths!
Fairly soon I had a layout and stitched up the columns and pieced them together.
I quilted following the seam lines across the quilt at random intervals with Aurifil threads 1135 and 1148 50 weight.
At the same time as selecting fabric I also pulled out the binding fabric, Pirate Stripe from the Out to Sea collection from Sarah Jane – just checked the year: 2012!
So there you have it a pretty quick baby quilt; started, finished and gifted in less than a week!