At the very beginning of this year I made this little beauty:
It’s from the book Pretty in Patchwork Holidays, I wanted to make the other 2 cushions but didn’t get round to them until recently. In November I managed to get the paper piecing done:
And then with a bit of effort in December I managed to turn them into cushions:
I found some pom pom trim and cut one off to stitch on to the penguins hat as there was no way I was going to attempt to make a tiny pom pom. Buttons were scrounged from the button box, I never have 2 matching black buttons for the eyes but surely that adds to the novelty of them!
I even had the crazy idea of adding piping to them!
Making the piping was easy but stitching it in between the front and back wasn’t as simple as I thought it might be. Any tips on how to stitch as close as possible to the piping gratefully received, I tried using the zipper foot which helped but I wasn’t overjoyed with the result.
They have been well received by the children, the polar bear has been named Snowy and the new penguin is a girl called Pebbles.
I’m pleased with how these turned out, they are the only festive decor that we’ve managed so far – you might find they are still hanging out in our living room next summer!
Linking up with: