A couple of weeks ago my friend Virginia posted a photo of a new bag that she had made on IG and mentioned that she was looking for pattern testers. I loved the look of the bag and I was keen to have something else to think about other than painting so I volunteered.
The pattern is great in that it comes in both adult and child sizes and you can choose the type of base, flap, drawstring closure or snaps. I opted to make an adult size bag with a boxy bottom.
I had 2 fat quarters of Echino cheater patchwork prints that I thought would be great to use for this. I also had most of a fat quarter of a print from Jenaveve by Valori Wells that would coordinate well and while not being a solid was subtle enough. Part of the risk of pattern testing is that there might be errors along the way. I’d worked out that with careful cutting I had enough Echino to make the bag. It wasn’t until that I was stitching the bag together that I realised that one of the measurements was incorrect. The back panel was too small, I discussed this with Virginia and sorted it.
This meant that I needed to add a panel into my back panel; fortunately I had 2 offcuts that once stitched together were big enough and I inserted them in to the middle of the bag as I had already sewn the straps and base on and really did not want to undo those!
The pattern suggests using a fusible medium weight interfacing, I used a fusible woven interfacing (Vilene G700) and a fusible fleece (Vilene H630), it gives the bag a lot of strength and structure; chances are that I will load the bag up so its worth making it tough! It also adds padding to the straps and I’d highly recommend making sure the straps are comfy otherwise you won’t want to use it.
I chose to make the straps adjustable, I can’t see why you wouldn’t (unless you really can’t wait for the hardware to arrive) now though I am slightly concerned that my model will want to use it for herself as she can obviously make it fit.
So I mentioned that there are different options for this bag, while I was pattern testing I also opted to change things a bit; rather than make the suggested lining pockets I added an internal zip pocket:
I’m really pleased with how this backpack turned out, partly because I got to use these stunning fabrics on something for me and also because I’d just started riding my bike again on errands and I didn’t have a bag suitable. Luckily for you Virginia has kindly offered to giveaway a copy of the pattern to one reader.
Leave a comment below telling me which options you would choose when making this bag (e.g. adult size, button flap etc) – mandatory.
For additional entries share the giveaway on social media (twitter, Facebook, IG etc) and add one comment per share.
Giveaway open worldwide until Thursday 27 Aug 20:00 BST. Winner will be chosen at random and will receive a PDF copy of the pattern from Gingercake
Photo’s by Tobit, bag modelled by Bethan age 10 (due to my inability to stand without crutches!).